One year later and I’m upstairs drinking my coffee and blogging while all 3 of my children are playing (somewhat nicely) in the basement together… So much different than this time last year when I was sipping coffee solo at a Starbucks waiting for labor to kick into full swing. This year has been a series of emotional highs and lows. We’ve had our fair share of fights and tantrums, laughs and tears, sleepless nights and not so long nap times. Luckily though, I can look back on it all with a smile and know that we. made. it.
People always talk about which transition is the “hardest”; going from 0 to 1 kid, 1 to 2 kids, 2 to 3 kids, and honestly I think every single one of those transitions is the hardest for different reasons. This year has challenged me, and changed me more than I thought possible. I had to let go of many things I thought mattered, which allowed me to see what really mattered most, happiness (everyone’s, including my own). I let go of thinking that everyone had to be dressed by breakfast time (its actually better if they aren’t- then the mess just gets washed with the jammies!). I let go of worrying about my kids playing in the dirt because of the resulting mess (Emmett has eaten more dirt/mulch than is probably healthy). I let go of my job that I thought was a necessity for my happiness (spoiler: it wasn’t).
So, Emmett- thank you! Thank you for blessing our little world 1 year ago today. Thank you for your strong-willed little personality and for not letting anything stop you from something you want. Thank you for finally sleeping through the night. Thank you for all of your hugs and kisses. You make me one proud mama!
To celebrate I made a list of 10 things that I love about Emmett on his 1st birthday:
1) I love the way you pull at your hair when you’re drinking your bottle at night
2) I love the way you lay your head on my shoulder when you first wake up from your nap
3) I love the way you sneak in a little tongue action when giving me a kiss. Your kisses are simply the best.
4) Speaking of tongues… I love the way yours sticks out ever so slightly most of the time, but especially when you are trying really hard at something
5) I love the way you love to sit and read books by yourself
6) I love the way you won’t let the big kids have anything, or do anything without you
7) I love the way you love to sing our made up “all done” song when you are finished with a meal
8) I love the way you always turn your head to the left when you’re swinging too high in your swing, and how if its really too high you hold your breath like you might throw up
9) I love the way you love to be chased and tickled. And your sweet little giggle always leaves me wanting more!
10) I love how much you love playing with balls of any shape or size. You love to kick, throw, and hit a ball any chance you get.